SC - OT/OOP Email/MIME (was Re: Introduction...)

kat kat at kagan.com
Thu Dec 3 13:29:10 PST 1998

Allison says:

>> BTW, is there a way to do e-mail that is not in MIME format?  Anyone
>> know?

and Phlip asks:

> Sorry about that, Allison, didn't know that was a problem for you. I'll see
> what I can do. People, I'm using Internet Explorer 4.0- any suggestions?

Phlip, I use Microsoft Exchange, which is even worse.  Here's what I do to keep
the people I tick off down to about 5%:  <G>

* Get into an Options or Settings menu and look for something like "Message
Format."  Tell it to send messages only in ASCii (plain text) characters, and
not to use MIME.  Just keep clicking on menu items till you find the place you
can change this.

* When I want to reply to a message on a mailing list, I start by copying out the
text I want to reply to.  Then I open a clean, new message and paste that in,
then reply in and send the new message.  It's the only thing that gets rid of the
garbage at the end.  (And sometimes even *that* doesn't work...)

* I also have to scroll down a message after I'm done with it (tho' I don't always
remember) and put hard returns in at the end of each line, or folks will email me
and tell me my lines are running off the side of the screen.

Email me privately if any of that doesn't make sense...  :-)

Hugs,

	- k