SC - English butter?

weymouth at iceweasel.org weymouth at iceweasel.org
Thu Dec 3 13:46:11 PST 1998

Hi Leanna

I think that the butter you are referring to is most likely lower in
water content than American butter.  This makes them tastier and
better for use in pastry dough.  Lower moisture in butter used in
croissant, puff pastry and shortbread dough will result in a lighter,
flakier product. Unfortunately what you found was salted, which I
don't recommend using for any of the aformentioned treats.

British dairy products, both the ones I've used in England (double
and triple creams, they reduce in a matter of seconds) and the
imports that I get from a local British import shop are incredible.
It's too bad sometimes that Americans are so fat phobic (and this
coming out of a cardiology nurse).

Aemilia

The best breakfast in the world---a bowl of Kellog's "Frosties" with
very cold British whole, unhomogenised milk.  Then you walk 10+ miles
a day around London to work it off.