SC - English butter?

snowfire at sprynet.com snowfire at sprynet.com
Thu Dec 3 20:09:58 PST 1998

- -Poster: Jean Holtom <snowfire at sprynet.com>

As far as I am aware, there is no such thing as a superior form of butter
called "English Butter".  In Britain most of the butter we eat is imported
anyway, notably "Danelea" (salted) and "Lurpak" (not salted) from Denmark
(those Vikings are still at it!) and "Anchor" from New Zealand.  Welsh butter
that is locally made tends to be VERY salty, and most salt butters in Britain
are saltier than those you can buy here.

We do call butter "Best Butter" sometimes however, and I'm guessing it is
referring to commerically produced butter probably of a certain quality
standard.  This would be pehaps used for Sunday tea, or for when visitors come,
("Lurpak", "Danelea" and "Anchor" all would qualify as "best butter") whereas
perhaps people used locally churned butter bought in bulk for everyday use, or
margarine.  Perhaps they are meaning this?  I certainly think Land o'lakes etc.
are up to the commerically packaged butters available in Britain!  (Also we do
not have sweet cream butter there).

Elysant (Elysande) de Holtham
Who for registration purposes has to change the spelling of Elysande to Elysant