SC - Different 12th Nights

Anne-Marie Rousseau acrouss at gte.net
Fri Dec 4 07:51:39 PST 1998

Hi all from Anne-Marie

we are asked about dividing up the contributions for potlucks.

I've run a gajillion potlucks, and think they're a fine way to do food
(when your primary goal is to get people fed, without having to cook dinner
for them all yourself). A few things we've found that work well...

1. Have the hosting branch provide a main dishy thing that can be expanded
as neccessary. we do pork and apple stew a lot...can be set up in a bunch
of crock pots and left alone.

2. Have some ringers arranged ahead of time "hey Anne-marie, you're going,
right? Bring three meat pies!"

3. Arrange the contributions in a fun and useful way. I've done by persona
(make the middle eastern people bring desserts :)), but my favorite is to
do it by the distance travelled.
If you travelled less than 1 hr to get to the event, bring a main dish or
side dish unit
If you travelled 1-2 hours, bring a salad or other veggie dish
If you travelled 2-4 hours, bring dessert
If you travelled more than 4 hours, bring bread and cheese. We're just
happy you came!

It helps that Madrone is land of medieval cooks. Most of them have had to
sit through my "period stuff you can bring to a potluck" lecture a
gajillion times, so we often have groaning board of real medieval food and
non-agregious medivaloide food. Only occasionally do we see the tub of
potato salad (hooray!).

hope this helps....
- --AM, who understands that in some places, potlucks are evil and to be
avoided...