SC - Tavern Style Kitchen

Gerekr at aol.com Gerekr at aol.com
Sat Dec 5 12:03:06 PST 1998

>><< a ladie's solar >>
>>?
>
>A Ladie's Solar is a separate but not completely closed off area of the
>main hall.  It is usually set up with rugs, pillows, chairs, wall
>hangings, etc. to make a comfortable place for ladies (although the motto
>this time was "It's not just for Ladies anymore!") to sit, embroider,
>chat, nap, whatever.  We have done it a couple of times, and it has
>worked out well.  It didn't get used much this time until the evening,
>when folks reclined and watched the entertainment from that corner as
>well as the tables around the hall.
>Christianna

This sounds very nice, but how do you demarcate the solar space when you
have only one giant room?  The description sounds sort of like you
actually, physically have a semi-enclosed space adjacent to your main
room, and I think that's a pretty rare situation?

Or is that just the effect you strive to create?  If it's the effect,
what do you do for "walls" (not just furnishings) and how do you  control
sound pollution (sic) from the main activities, or do people just "think
Japanese" re sound (I am acculturated to "not hear" what's on the other
side of the paper wall, so it doesn't bother me) and use their
imaginations and the furnishings to psychologically isolate themselves
from the larger space?

Thanks/Chimene