SC - Black-eyed peas

Sun Dec 6 08:55:38 PST 1998

> Ras said:
>
> >Of course, it helps in the case of black-eyed to realize that they are
> not
> beans at all but are peas which resemble beans in form. <
>
> Are you sure about that, Ras? I was always told that it was the other way
> around, that black-eyed peas were actually beans. Also, in my meanderings,
> have found yellow-eyed peas, and Anasazi beans. Anybody know where they
> came
> from? I've been particularly curious about the Anasazi beans, since the
> Anasazi are a southwestern Native American tribe, long extinct, and I was
> wondering if they might have been found originally at one of their sites.
>
> Phlip

Phaseolus are referred to as "true beans", but it is common to class
Ceratonia, Cicer, and Vigna (carobs, chickpeas, and cowpeas) as beans rather
than peas.

A quick check of my SW cookbooks doesn't turn up Anasazi beans and I don't
recall any reference to them in the books on SW archeology.  It may be I
missed a reference or it may be a scribal error confusing Anasazi with
adzuki, a member of the Vigna.

I think your yellow-eyed pea is a Phaseolus, but I can't find a reference
under that name.

Bear