SC - Time to give something back

Vicki Strassburg Eldredge taltos at primenet.com
Sun Dec 6 12:45:02 PST 1998

With all the wonderful information I've received from this list, it's only fair
that I share when I find something really cool. (This may be redundant for some
of you, but I know I was excited by it.) A chart follows which gives a spice, and
then the name it can be found under in various ethnic stores.

~Maedb

>From _The Complete Book of Spices (A Practical Guide to Spices and Aromatic
Seeds)_ by Jill Norman, (c) 1990 ISBN 0-670-83437-8

ajowan ~ ajwain, carom, lovage (indian)
anise ~ saunf (indian) yan kok (chinese) jintan manis (malaysian)
asafetida ~ hing (indian)
caraway ~ kala jeera, shia jeera (indian)
cardamom ~ elaichi (indian) wok lok wuat (chinese) kapulaga (indonesian) buah
pelaga (malay) kravan (thai)
cassia buds ~ nagkesar (indian)
cayenne ~ lal mirch (indian) pisi hui (thai)
coriander ~ dhania (indian) ketumber (indonesian, malay) pak chi met (thai)
cubeb ~ tjabe djawa (indonesian)
cumin ~ jeera (indian) jinten (indonesian) jinten putih (malay) yee raa (thai)
cumin,black ~ kala jeera (indian)
curry leaves ~ kari patta (indian) daun kari (indonesian) daun kai pla (malay)
bai karee (thai)
dill ~ sowa (indian) adas cina (indonesian)
fennel ~ saunf (indian) wooi heung (chinese) adas (indon., malay)
fenugreek ~ methi (indian)
galangal,greater ~ laos (indones.) lengkuas (malay) khaa (thai)
galangal,lesser ~ sa leung geung (chinese) kencur (indon.)
kaffir lime leaves ~ daun jeruk purut (indonesian) bai makrut (thai)
lemon grass ~ sereh (indonesian, malay) ta krai (thai)
mace ~ bunga pala (malay) dawk chand (thai)
mango powder ~ amchoor (indian)
mustard seeds ~ rai (indian) biji sawi (malay)
nigella ~ kala jeera, kalonji (indian)
pomegrante ~ anadana (indian)
poppy seeds ~ khas khas (indian) kas kas (malay)
saffron ~ kesar (indian) kunyit kering (malay)
screwpine ~ rampe (indian) daun pandan (indonesian) bai toey hom (thai)
sesame ~ til (indian) chee ma (chinese) bijan (malay) dee la (thai)
star anise ~ pak kok (chinese) bunga lawang (indonesian, malay) poy kak bua
(thai)
tamarind ~ imli (indian) asam (indonesian) asam java (malay) mak kam (thai)
turmeric ~ haldi (indian) wong geung (chinese) kunjit (indonesian, malay) kamin
(thai)
zedoary ~ amb halad, gundhmul, kachar (indian) kentjur (indonesian)

- --
~ Me (vicki, maedb, taltos)

check it out: http://www.primenet.com/~taltos