SC - Congratulations to Brandu!

Gedney, Jeffrey gedje01 at mail.cai.com
Mon Dec 7 09:29:29 PST 1998

> IMO, his first feast went very, very well!
>
> There was one glitch that I'm aware of, I don't think any of the
> feasters realized it - I only did because I'd been allowed to step
> into the kitchen for a moment and help chop.  This was only the second
> SCA feast I'd ever attended (I live far enough away from everything
> that my companions are usually leaving at about the time feast begins)
> and it was great fun to help out.
>
> I'd also like to add the comment of the gentleman sitting next to me
> for feast on his first glance at the menu:  "He's actually using
> saffron!  in more than one dish!  and grains of paradise!  and...
> wow!"  This gentleman happened to be Theodric, (please pardon if I
> mangled the spelling) master of the Pepperer's Guild.....
>
> Huzzah, Brandu!
>
> - Aislinn

Thank You Aislinn!
And thank you for all you help. You were mighty gracious, (and durned
pretty, too!!).
I was happy to put face with name, finally.

Actually I had a lot of glitches.
I was able to over come most of them, by slightly departing from the recipe
methods.
Most were due to the fact that my butcher, bread, and grocery orders were
not ready at the time I said I would pick them up, and I wound up getting
started two hours late in the kitchen. (also I could not do all the
precooking that I planned to do, because my promised kitchen help in the
week before got sick, and the autocrat told me on Sunday "we are upping the
count, and by the way, the people doing the subtlty (Gingerbread
somethingorother) are so proud of it, that they want to show it off at the
next event. So you'll have to supply one we can eat, too". Oy. It did come
out nice, though (although nowhere near to being in period-- it had the
baronial arms worked out in fondant and Icing, on a chocolate cake).  Also,
somebody brought a bunch of mince meat pies from a local bakery to give out
at dessert. They were well meaning, so I let them go out at the end of the
meal, but I disavowed any responsibility, and could not give any
ingredients, as I had none. They were not on the Menu, so there was
consternation and confusion as a result. ( Advice:  if you hand out a menu,
do not depart from it, People do use them)

I will be posting the story of the feast later, with the final menu,
recipes, and results.

(note, with regard to "Hattes"...  don't take shortcuts, do it exactly as in
the recipe. Grind the meat AFTER boiling. If you cook the meat after
grinding, the stuffing will not stay together enough to allow frying in
batter, as the recipe suggests. I had to bake them off, and that made the
dough of the hattes very hard to eat. That was my biggest problem of the
night).

Brandu