SC - re: meat

kat kat at kagan.com
Mon Dec 7 19:15:01 PST 1998

Ras writes:

> I certainly didn't mean to imply that your topic was not interesting.
> Quite the contrary

That wasn't quite what I meant.  I was pointing out the failure in myself in
introducing a topic to the list because I was too squeamish to finish the
article....  <wry grin>

> My original comment was regarding a shock show that perported to rip open
> the processed meat industry by relvealing that tongues, ears, jowls and other
> suposedly 'inedible' parts were used in processing bologna and hot dogs.
> Disease or potential disease were not discussed. It was clear that they were
> talking off the wall about a subject they knew little or nothing about. I was
> not insinuating that your article was in that caliber. I was just expressing a
> hope that it was not.

The only bit about this I recall is that the reporter (who did indeed get his
research in person, on the killing floor) pointed out that even *after* determining
that mad cow disease can be spread through any and all neural tissue, the
meatpacking industry continues to qualify spinal-cord tissue as "beef" for
purposes of human consumption.

And Shari writes:

> If the subject matter grosses you out, think about how much more grossed
> out you may be if you didn't know about it.  (Kat, I know you may be grossed
> out by the practices/info in the article, but this is something we would like to
> know about.)

Well, I posted originally because I was hoping someone *else* had read the
article and could shed a little light on it for *me.*  :-)

Anyway, sorry for all the hoo-rah.  I'll try to read it tonight and see if I can get any further without losing it...  <G>

Hugs,

	- k