SC - My first feast is over. Here's what happened (part two):

Gedney, Jeffrey gedje01 at mail.cai.com
Tue Dec 8 12:49:05 PST 1998

Here is the second part of the description of the event and recipes.

Menu:
Setup
	Bread,
	Garlic butter and Butter

the first course
	Souppes
	Leche Lumbard
	Butturd Wortys
	Chickyn yn Gretney
	Sauce camelyn
	Soteltie = Hattes

the second course
	Bread
	Tartys of Flesche
	Alosed beef
	Sallet
	Bastons

The third course
	Bread
	Garleky Beef
	Douse Desire
	Frumente
	Joutys
	Pears in syrip

"Dessert" soteltie

the recipes:

the first course
Souppes
Leche Lumbard
Butturd wortys
- ---------------------

Chickyn yn gretney
	Boyle chickens in good broth, and rese the thyys and the wyngys
	& the brestys. Take mylke of almonds unblanched; draw up withe
	the same brothe & poudyr of canell & a perty of wyne, sygure,
	saffron, & salt. Do hit togedyr yn a pott; set on the fyre.
	Stere hit when hit boyles. Sesyn hit up with poudyr of gyngyr
	& verjus. Lay the chikenys hote yn disches. Have yolkes of
	eyron soden hard, and fryed a lytyll; couch on aboute the
	wyngez & the thyes.
- ---------------------
I blew it on the verjuice, I forgot to make it ahead of time, and so I left
it out. The sauce was served in bowls on the side, and the chickens were
roasted with lemon and rosmary and sage. It is not exactly to the original,
but it was damn good, and people were demolishing the chickens. They did not
come back at all! They were loudly praised, and people were making those
noises like Meg Ryan in the restaraunt orgasm scene from "Sleepless in
Seattle" as they ate them!
Some raved about the sauce, some did not. But I expected that.

what I did:
(serves 112)
Chickens:
	14 broilers
	14 small lemons
	14 4 inch twigs of fresh rosemary
	3 to 4 tbs of whole dried sage
	Kosher salt
Almond milk:
	Two cups whole almonds, finely ground
	40 oz Can Chicken broth
	1/4 cup White Zinfandell Wine
28 hard boiled eggs, sliced in half longwise
1 tbs cinnamon
!/2 tsp saffron threads crushed to 1/8
1/2 tbs Kosher salt
1/2 cup red wine

With the broth and the ground almonds, draw up a milk, adding the zinfandell
wine.
Clean and rinse the chickens, removing the giblets & garbage. Rub the birds
inside and out woth Kosher salt. Put a twig of rosemary and a lemon into
each bird. Rub and sprinkle the sage on the birds. cover with foil and bake
at 375 degrees. After a while remove the foil and rotate the pans in the
oven to brown the birds. when done remove the birds, and let them rest 10 to
15 minutes, no more. Set them on platters, setting the eggs around them.
While the birds are browning, heat the almond milk, adding the sugar,
spices, and wine and bring to a light boil. wwhen it has boiled for a while
and everything is dissolved, remove from heat.
When the birds are ready, serve the sauce in bowls alongside the birds.
- --The original recipe calls for adorning the birds with the sauce, and
piecing the chickens. I did not remove the wings and legs and thighs,
because the bird were falling apart all by themselves. I cooked them 4 to a
large foil roasting pan covered with foil, and they cooked in about 3 inches
of their own juices, like they were cooked in a clay pot, and just as tender
and juicy. I lucked out on these chickens. I plan on going back to that
butcher again!)

- ---------------------

Sauce camelyn
	Take whyte bred & draw hit in the maner if sauce gynger,
	with venyger; & put therto poudyr of canell, a grete dele,
	& poudyr of gynger & poudyr lumbard, and draw hit ayen,
	& yf thu wilt, draw a lytyll mustard therewith, & sesyn
	it up with sygure that hit be doucete, Salt hit & color
	hit with saffron.

- ---------------------
4 cups plain white bread crumbs
40 oz cider vinegar
4 tbs cinnamon
2 tbs Lumbard powder (3 parts nutmeg, 2 part cloves, 1part Grains of
Paradise, 1 part pepper)
2 tsp Mustard powder
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 1/2 tsp Kosher salt
1/2 tsp saffron threads crushed to 1/8

Mix everything and boil it 10 minutes, stirring continuously.
Put it in bowls and serve it up with chicken
- ---------------------

Hattes
	Make a past of paryd floure, knodyn with yolkes of eyron;
	& make a stuf of vele & porke, sodyn & groundyn, with
	yolkes of eyron; marydysed, & datys mynsyd; corauns;
	sigure,safron & salt & poudyr; & medyll al togedyr. &
	make youre paste on round foyles of the brede of a
	saucer, as thyn as may be drawn. turne hem double, that
	the brerdys may come to the medyll of the foyle; then
	turne hem togedyr that the brerdys on the more side
	mete al aboute, & the lasse brerde turne upward witoutyn
	in the manner of a hat. & close well the egges that they
	hold well. Fyll theron thy stuff. have a bature of yolks of eyon
	& whete floure in the opyn syde that ys toward. Loke
	theryn that the stuff be closyd, & set hit in hote grece
	upryght. when the bature ys fryed, thu may ley hym
	down & fry hym al overe.

- ---------------------
Ok, so I blew this one, I used preground meat, and ran out of marrow bones
making the souppes. so here is how I should have made it:
I wanted to cook the meat before cooking, because I was concerned about them
standing so long while the hattes are being stuffed. I had the same worry
with the Tartes of Flesche and the Douse Desire, because they all require a
lot of hand work to make.

15 lbs veal stew meat
20 lbs pork shoulder
18 eggs
2 lbs marrow (from about 5 large beef shanks bones) coarsely ground
2 lbs pitted dates, chopped
3 cups sugar
2 tbs salt
1 tbs pepper
1 tbs cinnamon
1 tsp ground cloves
1 tsp saffron threads, crushed to 1/4 tsp
1/2 cup flour
150 round wonton wrappers
Oil for frying

Boil the meats, and run them through a grinder. Mix the ground meats with
the rest of the ingredients, except the flour , three eggs and wrappers. Mix
it all together until the fat begins to run from the marrow, and the mixture
is sticky and holds together.

I did solve the issue of how to fold the circles of dough and seal them up
to make a hat that lookes like a hat... The method is somewhat ambiguous as
described.
To make the hat:
(Stupid ascii art follows)
Take the circle of dough (wonton wrapper),
       ..
       ..

and fold one side to the middle

    --------
   ....--....
       ..
and fold it in halves perpendicular to the first fold, with the first fold
inside.

    ----|----
   ....-|-....
   .....|.....
    ....|....
       .|.

Wet and press it to seal it along the fold. you should now have a shape that
looks like a right triangle, but the Hypoteneuse really is a broad curve.

    ----
   .....|
   .....|
    ....|
       .|

Now fold up the curved edges on both sides to turn up the brim

    ----
    \*..|
     \*.|
      \*|
       \|

It should look like a "robin hood" hat.

        .
   ........******............
  ....********************.......
 .********************************...

make 120 of them.
>From the extra pieces of wrapper, cut decorative feathers, and spread them
to dry, or lay them in a hot oven with the fire turned off, to harden.

Stuff the inside (where the head would go) with the filling, and set aside.
When all 120 have been filled, make a batter from the remaining eggs and
flour.
Dredge the open bottoms of the dumplings and fry them battered side down, to
seal, then place on either side to brown. once lightly browned, remove, and
drain on brown paper. Adorn brims with teh feathers cut above, and serve.

DO NOT TAKE shortcuts, if you want this to work, you can substitute lard,
butter, or bacon for the marrow, if you wish, but do not omit it, the
filling does not hold well if additional fat is not included. (this I know!)

- ---------------------

The Second Course

Tartys of Flesche
	Take porke sodyn; pyke hit clene fom the bonys, grynd
	hit small. boyle figgys in the brothe of the flesche, or
	yn wyn or in ale; hew it, & grynd it with eyron. Pare
	tendyr chese; grynd hit togedyr that the most perte stond
	by the flesche, and the lest by the chese. Take pynes &
	reysons; fry hem in a quantite of fresh grece & do hit
	in that othir with hole clowys, macys, & poudyr of pepyr
	& canell, a grete dele, & poudyr of gynger & sygure
	claryfyd or hony claryfyd, safon & salt. Toyl hit wel
	togedyr tyl thy grece be hote. Then make brode cofinys
	with low brerdys, as thyn as thu may make hem. Thu may
	chese of clovys or mynsed datys, whethir thu wilte medyl
	hem with the stuff or els strew hem above. & ley on the
	ledys; close hem, & thu may put theryn lyght werke &
	make endorying them with mylke of almondys, & saffron,
	& endore hem, or thu bake hem.
- ---------------------

Since this is used as a pie filling in an enclosed pie, and there are plenty
of wet ingredients, you can use cooked ground meat for this, but the texture
is better if the meat is ground after boiling, as above.
I took the short cut, because I was out of time, otherwise, but it worked
out OK, I think. This recipe is more forgiving than the Hattes, or the Douse
Desire in the the third course, because the meat does not need to hold
together before cooking.

(serves 112)
20 lbs pork shoulder or loin
4 lbs Figs
1 40 oz can Chicken Broth
12 Eggs
5 lbs Fontina cheese
1 lb Pine nuts
1 lb raisins
2 tsp Ground Cloves
2 tsp Ground Mace
1 tbs Pepper
2 tbs Cinnamon
2 tsp GInger
2 cups Sugar
1 tsp Saffron, crushed to 1/8 tsp
2 tbs salt
14 prebaked pieshells
14 unbaked prepared topcrusts
oil for frying

Boil the pork until done. Grind the pork, removing from the bones, if
needed, and put in a large mixing bowl. Put the broth in a pot, and boil the
figs in it. (If you used a "bone in" cut of pork, you can reserve and use
the broth form the boiling, rather than the chicken broth.)
When they have benn in a rolling boil for about twenty minutes or so, grind
the figs, and put them into the bowl, along with the eggs, shred the cheese,
and add that too.
Fry the pine nuts til they are just brown. and remove them to the bowl, do
not over cook, they will continue to cook for a couple of minutes after they
are removed from the heat, so a light brown in the pan will result in a nice
golden brown in the pie. Return the pan to the stove, and in the same oil,
fry the raisins till they are all plumped. add them to the mixture. Add the
spices. Mix it well together.
Fill the pies, and strew the chopped dates on top and close the pies. Vent
the top crusts, stick some whole cloves in the top crusts for decoration,
Brush it with an egg wash and bake them. When they are nice and brown, serve
them up.

- ---------------------

Alosed beef
	Take lyr of beef; cut hem in lechys. Lay hem abrode on a
	bord. Take the fatte of motyn, or of beef, herbys & onions
	hewyn togefyr, & strew hit on the leches of beef with poudyr
	of pepyr & a lytyl salt, & roll hit up therynne. Put hem on a
	broch; rost hem.
- ---------------------
My mistake was to use deli roast beef, cut thick. this was supposed to be a
time saver, it was a budget breaker. Next time I'll use a nice bottom round,
and slice it myself.
Regardless, even though I forgot to cover these when cooking, and so they
really dried out, these were the hit of the night. I got more compliments on
this than anything... "Man, I really liked that medieval Negimaki stuff,
wow!"

serves 112
112 good sized 1/8 to 3/16 thick slices of rare or raw beef
3 lbs Beef fat (I used the trimmings from the roast in the third course)
ground or processed fine
2 lbs butter cut small, or softened
5 tbs chopped garlic
2 tbs chopped parsely
5 large onions, medium dice (about 4 - 5 cups)
2 tsp whole dried sage, rubbed & crumbled
2 tsp pepper
1 tbs Kosher salt

Lay out all the pieces of beef on a board
Mix all the rest of the ingredients together until well incorporated. Spread
the filling mixture on the beef pieces, and roll them up tightly.
Lay them in a baking pan, cover the pan with foil, and cook at 350 degrees
for a half hour to 45 minutes.
remove the foil, and cook for 15 minutes more to brown, turning once.
Dish them up, and serve them.

I guarantee that these will be appreciated, although you may want to plan
two rolls per head, instead of one, as I have. In which case this recipe
should be doubled. This was actually a side dish, so I planned as above.
These can be made 2 or 3 days ahead of time and kept refridgerated. I think
they will do well frozen well ahead of time, but I did not try that.
(This was one of the recipes I meant to do ahead of time, but did not have
the resources to do so.)