SC - probably apocryphal, certainly funny

kat kat at kagan.com
Wed Dec 9 12:50:20 PST 1998

Do please forgive me; I swore I would NEVER post one of these to the Cooks'
List.  But this one I thought was at least topic-related...  (and yes, Ras,
I DO have a recipe for Christmas pudding if you'd like it  <G>.)

	- k

CHRISTMAS PUDDING & HIGH EXPLOSIVES

Security scanners at a major British airport are having a hard time
telling the difference between Christmas pudding and explosives.  USA's
Dominic Waghorn has details:

"Like festive holiday-makers the world over, hundreds of passengers
using Manchester airport in the north of England this week have been
packing Christmas puddings in their luggage to eat with relative and
friends abroad.  The airport may have spent over $25 million on security
equipment, but its luggage scanners are sounding the alarm whenever they
come across a packed pudding, thinking the harmless festive dessert is
semtex, a high explosive favored by terrorist organizations like the
IRA.  The explosive has the same density as the puddings.  Dominic
Waghorn, USA Radio News, London."

[From USA Radio News, 24 December 1997]
Ian Chai <chai at uiuc.edu> [rec.humor.funny]