SC - Disease Threats

Christine A Seelye-King mermayde at juno.com
Wed Dec 9 14:15:09 PST 1998

>For one I will not be alarmed at a few isolated cases of any rare
>disease and
>certainly will not abstain from consumption  on the basis of such
>statistically insignifivcant numbers.
>
>Ras

I agree with most of what Ras is saying here.  But, to take this off in
another tangential area (I seem to be good at that these days, don't I?),
I am trying to figure out whether or not I should be concerned about my
aluminum cookware.  I have old sets of Wearever cast aluminum cook ware
that belonged to my grandmother, (which I love) and other various pieces
of bakeware that is also aluminum.  There have been several studies
linking aluminum to Alzheimer's disease.  When someone commented about 10
years ago that I should get rid of all my aluminum stuff, I said
something to the effect of "No way in Hell".  But, in the intervening
years, I have heard more about this, including a recent study of
Alzheimer's victims that found aluminum in all of them.  (Sorry, don't
have names, dates, facts and figures here, but could turn them up.) Now,
I assume the study had control cases of non Alz. sufferers that showed
lower levels of aluminum, or it wouldn't have been much of a finding.  We
use aluminum in our everyday lives, most notably in our underarm
deodorant/antipersperant (it's the antipersperant).  It also occurs in
many other cosmetics and health and beauty items.  My family does not
have a history of Alz. disease, (cancer  and heart disease is more our
speed), but, should I be concerned and change over to all stainless,
glass, corningware, etc?
 How many studies should I need to believe it as a threat?
What think you all?
Christianna