SC - An introduction and hopefully a quick query

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Thu Dec 10 17:01:52 PST 1998

At 10:40 AM -0500 12/7/98, LrdRas at aol.com wrote:
>In a message dated 12/7/98 12:35:39 AM Eastern Standard Time, ddfr at best.com
>writes:
>
><< If you happen to be working with medieval Islamic recipes, it is worth
> knowing that "ratl" and "uqiya," sometimes translated "pound" and "ounce,"
> are from a system with 12 ounces to a pound, which I think is also true of
> the troy system.
>

> David/Cariadoc >>
>
>So is the ounce bigger or is  it the same ounce? What I mean is that if the
>ratl is 12 oz. = 1 1/2 cp liquid then is the uqiya still 1 oz=2 tblsps liquid?
>This is how I have been doing it and have had consistently successful results.

>From the notes at the end of Charles Perry's translation of the Andalusian
cookbook:

1 ratl (< the Greek litra < the Roman libra)=12 ûqiyas; in 13th century
Andalusia, 1 ratl=468.75 g, about a pound
1 ûqiya (< the Roman uncia)=10 dirham; in 13th century Andalusia, 1
ûqiya=39 g, about 1 1/3 ounces or 7 teaspoons

Presumably the exact quantities might have been different in other times
and places.

David/Cariadoc
http://www.best.com/~ddfr/