SC - Period Use of Mushrooms

Robyn Probert robyn.probert at lawpoint.com.au
Fri Dec 11 06:08:42 PST 1998

At 16:14 10/12/1998 -0800, Elizabeth/Betty Cook wrote:

>"MUSHROOMS of one night are the best, and are small and red inside, closed
>above: and they should be peeled, then wash in hot water and parboil; if
>you wish to put them in pastry, add oil, cheese and powdered spices.

>I don't know what kind he is describing, but it doesn't sound like what I
>buy at the grocery.

Sounds like baby buttom mushrooms to me - the one time I grew my own
mushrooms, mushrooms 'of one night' were about 1.5 - 2cm across (say 3/4 ").
If you cut them open, the gills were still pink. I'd be buying the smallest
button mushrooms available in the market.

Rowan
Robyn Probert					Phone +61 2 9239 4999
Services Development Manager			Fax   +61 2 9221 8671
Customer Support Manager			15 Castlereagh St
Lawpoint Pty Limited				Sydney  NSW  AUSTRALIA