SC - Use of aluminum in cookery

LrdRas at aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Fri Dec 11 15:59:38 PST 1998

In a message dated 12/11/98 2:10:33 PM Eastern Standard Time,
toastie at interaccess.com writes:

<< From what I understand, this is not just a few isolated cases.  For some
 reason, aluminum has crossed the blood-brain barrier in alzheimer patients.
 I myself have gotten rid of aluminum cookwear (unless it is teflon coated).
 I would be particularly concerned about cooking acidic foods in aluminum as
 it would tend to dissolve the metal. >>

But the question of whether the aluminum causes the disease or if excess
absorption of aliminum is a result of the disease has never been addressed
adequately.My own family has used aluminum in it's varius incarnations for
years and we have no occurence of Alzheimer's although semile dementia does
set in rapidly in the few hours preseeding death.

So far as, cooking acid foods in aluminum is concerned, acidic foods tend to
discolor alu,inum utensils and pans. the food itself takes on a decidedly
metallic and unpleasant bitter flavor. It is always a bad idea to use acidic
ingredients in aluminum vessels whether health concerns are an issue or not.

Ras