SC - Medieval exhibits in Philadelphia/NYC area?

weymouth at iceweasel.org weymouth at iceweasel.org
Sun Dec 13 02:48:02 PST 1998

Greetings Stefan,

I think I'm one of the few Philadelphians lurking on the list right
now.  The Philadelphia Museum of Art has a wonderful Medieval
Collection recently redone in the style of the Sainsbury Wing of the
National Gallery in  London.  Wonderful variety of works--furniture,
manuscripts, architecture and paintings.  Currently, for later period
work there is a special Delacriox exhibit. Also, an exhibit of church
vestments and embroideries from the 14th and 15th C.   Delacroix
ehibit requires a timed ticket. PMA is closed on Mondays.  They've
got a pretty good web  site for more info.

The American Swedish Museum, also in the city, has an exhibit on
early Swedish settlement, 1638-1655. Their phone # is 215-389-1776.

The only iron-making related thing that I could find is at Hopewell
Furnace in Elverson (not sure exactly where that is but I'm sure it's
West of Valley Forge).  That's a 19th C iron making site.  Phone #
for that site is610-582-8773.

Most of the historic sites in the area are geared up for Christmas.

If you need other suggestions, feel free to email me privately.

Aemilia