SC - barley

Mon Dec 14 07:51:15 PST 1998

Toussaint-Samat, Maquelonne, The History of Food; Blackwell, ISBN
0631194975, paperback, $29.95.

Tannahill, Reay, Food in History; Crown, ISBN 0517884046, paperback, $16.00.

Both of these are in print.  They are primarily global reviews of the
history of food and eating from prehistory to the present.  Their scope is
such that they tend to be shallow in the particulars of any given foodstuff.
They do make good starting points for deeper research.

Comments have been made about errors in both books and about
Toussaint-Samat's Franco-centric view, but as surveys of the field, they are
the best available.  I would recommend checking out Stefan's Florilegium for
various comments:

http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/rialto/books-food-msg.html

Bear