SC - barley - OOP

grasse at mscd.edu grasse at mscd.edu
Thu Dec 17 09:08:05 PST 1998

True, my mother (who grew up in Germany during WWII) refuses to eat my beef
& barley stew.  She refers to barley as "calves-teeth" - I think because
they let it soak up so much water during cooking till the barley was the
size of calves teeth.  Mom also refuses to eat potatoes with the peels on -
says she ate enough potato-peel soup to last her a lifetime.

Gwen-Cat
Caerthe
(Who is quite thankful to be able to enjoy the good things in life without
having had to go through the hard times!)
(exit soap-box mode)

replying to

>snip<
BTW, when I went looking for barley in German stores I couldn't find it,
and one store keeper told me that, as a result of wars, and having to eat
whatever they could get, barley is now out of fashion in any form but
animal fodder.  Even the old-fashioned farmers won't eat it.  Interesting
to see a side-light on things that influence food fashions.

Regards,

Allison