SC - cuskinolds

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Wed Dec 23 04:10:44 PST 1998

david friedman wrote:

> It was about whether, when working from the only recipe in the
> whole corpus of 13th-15th Anglo-Norman cookery to include an illustration,
> you should ignore the illustration.

There's no question of ignoring the illustration, merely an attempt to
establish a likely scale (since no clear indication is given in the
recipe) and a method of accomplishing it (since no clear indication is
given in the recipe). It's enough to make one wish for a clear
illustration for several other recipes, such as Teste de Turt, for
example, but seeing what they accomplished with the cuskynoles recipe,
it's understandable they would be a little hesitant.

Basically my interpretation calls for one kind of Wishful Thinking™, and
His Grace's, another. Do you manufacture information that the recipe
fails to provide in such a way as to take the recipe in one direction,
or another?

Each of us feels the other is engaging in Wild Speculation™, while we
ourselves are serious redactors. Oil and water, cats and dogs, Bugs and
Elmer, that sort of thing. If there were genuine equilibrium in the
Universe, it would collapse again.

> For the other side, ask Adamantius.

Aaargghhh! Multi-celled cuskynoles are an affront to god and man! They
must be stopped! Foam. Snarl. Snap. Foam.

Seriously, though, I'm only trying to describe, as best I can, the
nature of our disagreement, without picking it up again. There's nothing
new being said here, and I believe the whole thing is archived
somewhere.

Those interested in The Eternal Debate will be pleased to hear I am
consulting with my ISP on the establishment of the UseNet newsgroup
alt.history.culinary.cuskynoles, as well as a cuskynoles ICQ channel for
late-breaking developments, and I am soliciting volunteer phone
operators for my new 24-hour cuskynole hotline... .

The preceding has been a paid political announcement.

Adamantius
Østgardr, East
- --
Phil & Susan Troy