SC - help on this list

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Sat Dec 26 19:17:15 PST 1998

Brenna wrote:

> Over the last few weeks, I've discovered something about this list.  Bear with
> me as I find this incredibly humorous.  I've found that I get wonderful recipies
> that I don't ask for but when I ask for a recipie that I can't locate any other
> way....I get the correct spelling that allows me to locate it myself.   The
> members on this list are great spellers apparently because the spellings I get
> for the recipies in my area come up with nothing, but the spellings I get on
> here do the trick.  Someone please explain this, because (frankly) I'm really at
> a loss here.

Umm, formative years spent in the company of nuns with yardsticks? I've
always felt that spelling counts. It can tell you (or give you a pretty
good idea, anyway) the derivation of a word, what language it is
probably from, etc.

I myself was never the object of a nun's Extreme Prejudice, as it were,
so I guess I can't claim the full gamut of the Catholic School
Experience, but they do undeniably teach kids to spell. One of the
frequent problems I run across is that people who write Web pages often
can't spell, so knowing how to spell and using a good search engine
doesn't always get me the number of hits I expect: it's difficult to
anticipate how someone will misspell a word... .

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com