SC - Scottish/british food terms

snowfire at mail.snet.net snowfire at mail.snet.net
Tue Dec 29 19:08:29 PST 1998

- -Poster: Jean Holtom <Snowfire at mail.snet.net>

>>Phlip, tell Andrew to use some brown
>gravy with a little tomato paste stirred in, just enough to color it a
>sort of deep mahagony color, and a slightly richer, sharper flavor.<

>Awright, A, I'm busted ;-) Seriously, though, are there any texts where
>locality-specific terms/terminology can be found ? I can deal with "Curye On
>Inglysch" and other texts with glossaries, but sometimes our Brit cousins
>have me far more baffled than our Romance/ Arabic/ Asian/ Native American
>friends do.

Daring to use bandwidth for this question (grin) what is it that troubles you
about the quote above?  "Brown gravy"?  Gravy made with beef stock I would
imagine, "tomato paste" is, I believe the American way to say it actually,
(We'd probably call it tomato puree).  Does this help?  any?

Or "bag the whole idea and go with this instead (from the book "A Heritage of
British Cooking" by Maggie Black, this recipe comes from a Tudor black-letter
book called "A Proper Newe Booke of Cokerye")  (and I hope his cooking is
better than his spelling - was ;)

    			   "Sauce Galentyne"

	     Tak crust of brown bred and stepe them in venyger,
	     put ther to pouder of candelle, and let it step till it
	     be brown, then streyn it ij or iij tymes, cast it to
	     pouder and salt, and let it be stonding."

Notes:
candelle, canelle, canel  = cinnamon  Interesting because Canderel is the
			    trade name for Equal in Britain
step, steppe		  = (to) steep, soak
ij, iij			  = two, three
cast it to pouder	  = add spices to it
stonding		  = thick, stiff

			     Modern Recipe
3 oz dark rye breadcrumbs, 4 tablespons lemon juice, 2 tablespoons wine
vinegar, 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon, pinch each of ground mace and cloves,
pinch of salt, 3-4 tablespoons strong stock, 12 teaspoons sugar if needed.

Place the breadcrumbs in a bowl. and moisten well with the lemon juice and
vinegar.  Leave to stand for 1-2 hours.  Sprinkle with the spices and the
salt, and add three tablespoons stock.  Sieve the mixture twice to obtain a
smooth creamy puree.  Add the sugar and extra stock if the flavour is too
strong for your taste, or if the sauce is pasty.  It should be very thick
("stonding") but should drop readily from a spoon.  Serve on the side of ech
plae as you would chutney or mustard.  The sauce apparently will keep for a
week or more in a refrigerator, but may need whisking just before serving if
separates.

There was also another recipe for it by Pepys on the same page, but as in
quite undecipherable handwriting (sorry)!

Ms Black says that this sauce was a standard accompaniment for water birds and
bustards, like mint sauce for lamb. Sauce Galentyne, she says, still goes well
with wild duck.  It is also good with venison or pheasant, and with dark
turkey meat.

Elysant
are you baffled yet?  ;-)