SC - Fruit sauce/Rødegrød med Fløde

Balano1 at aol.com Balano1 at aol.com
Thu Dec 31 11:19:39 PST 1998

Hopefully, someone else can help document this but it is and has been a
standard throughout Scandanaivia and Western Europe for time unknown.  I'm
told it's one of those that everyone's grandma can make and no one really has
a recipe for but I can attest to its pervasive appearance throughout Sweden
and Germany...this is a modern adaptation -

Rødegrød med Fløde

2 ten ounce packages frozen mixed berries, strawberries and rasberries
2 Tblsp sugar
2 Tblsp arrowroot powder
1/4 cup cold water
slivered almonds
1/2 cup light cream

Blend berries until pureed or rub through a fine sieve.  Place puree in a 1 -
1 1/2 quart saucepan and stir in sugar.  Bring to a boil stirring constantly.
Mix 2 Tbsp arrowroot powder and 2 Tblsp cold water to make a smooth paste.
Stir into sauce, let mixture thicken and remove from heat and cool.  Chill for
at least 2 hours and serve with slivered almonds on top and cream on the side.

- - Sister Mary Endoline