SC - An old recipie memory

Stapleton, Jeanne jstaplet at mail.law.du.edu
Thu Dec 3 09:28:50 PST 1998

My late husband,  Knikolos,  used to make this dish he called Eggs
>Goldenrod.  It was toast, buttered.  Then you took a hard boiled egg
>and separated the yolk from the white.  You took a fork and mashed each
of them until they were crumbly.  Then, you took the white and put a layer
on the toast, then a smaller layer of the yolk.  I think he
finished it off with a cheese sauce, but I wouldn't swear to that.
(Maybe
>hollandaise?)

>	Yessss, and I love eggs goldenrod.  Hmmm...
>
>	Actually, the way I was shown to do it was toast, egg whites,
>	sause, then yolks dusted/crumbled over the top for the
>"goldenrod" effect.

>	Berengaria, having a new outlook on dinner tonight.
>
>	P.S.--i've had both cheese and hollandaise and once a weird
>	"supreme" sauce that Iwouldn't recommend.

	In the food service trade we would have called a chicken sauce a
'supreme', was it thick and yellow and tasted of chicken boullion?  Where
did you get this recipie from?
	Thanks,
	Christianna

	I didn't have a recipe, I was served the dish at a
	brunch three or four years ago.  The "sauce supreme"
	they serve at our dining hall on the law campus does
	in fact go with chicken, but does not have a strong
	chicken bouillon-y flavor--although I suspect that
	is the underlying flavoring in the cream sauce.

Berengaria