SC - An introduction and hopefully a quick query

LrdRas at aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Mon Dec 7 07:40:15 PST 1998

In a message dated 12/7/98 12:35:39 AM Eastern Standard Time, ddfr at best.com
writes:

<< If you happen to be working with medieval Islamic recipes, it is worth
 knowing that "ratl" and "uqiya," sometimes translated "pound" and "ounce,"
 are from a system with 12 ounces to a pound, which I think is also true of
 the troy system.

 David/Cariadoc >>

So is the ounce bigger or is  it the same ounce? What I mean is that if the
ratl is 12 oz. = 1 1/2 cp liquid then is the uqiya still 1 oz=2 tblsps liquid?
This is how I have been doing it and have had consistently successful results.

Ras