SC - Re: eastern european fare

Varju at aol.com Varju at aol.com
Mon Dec 7 11:11:25 PST 1998

In a message dated 12/7/1998 6:49:44 AM Mountain Standard Time,
chickengoddess at mindspring.com writes:

<< Stew cultures are those whose primary method of
 preparing food was as a stew, and whose primary method of service of these
 stews was tht the family or other grouping ate from a communal pot. >>

At least for Hungary this is a bit of a stretch.  There are some period
descriptions of what the Magyars ate while they were raiding, which was
usually a stew of some sort eaten out of a communal pot, but that was
travelling food, not what you would eat every day.  I'm also not sure how
going from anthropological slant would help much,  I would personally find an
archeological slant more helpful since it would look at the actual cooking
untensils and related items.

And there are some documentably period recipies for Hungary, they just aren't
in English, which I think is probalby true of all parts of Eastern Europe.

Noemi