SC - Graisse Normande?

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Tue Dec 8 03:07:27 PST 1998

Bonne of Traquair wrote:

> Anyone else heard of it?
>
> I'm currently reading "The Norman Table" subtitled 'The Traditional
> Cooking of Normandy' by Claude Guermont.  Chapter 1 is Basic Stocks and
> Sauces.  The first item discussed is "Graisse Normande":

Yes, I've heard of it, but from the same source as you. I also know
people who've eaten it in Normandy, but probably didn't know exactly
what it was at the time. I believe some versons include goose fat, as well.

_The_ fat for sauteed potatoes, especially with the goose fat in it.

This isn't too surprising, though. I have a kosher steakhouse in my area
that places bowls of bread and little tubs of schmear (in this case
that's chicken fat, rendered, usually, with onions, to you) and grebens
(the oniony cracklings, to you) on each table. Absoutely not for the
cholesterol-conscious, but an interesting experience to go through once
or twice. Their potatoes are fried in chicken fat, too, which is very
serious stuff indeed.

BTW, try Guermont's version of the omelette Mere Poulard...

Adamantius
Crown Province of Østgardr, East Kingdom

Argent, an owl displayed guardant sable, between three pheons inverted
gules, all within a bordure sable.
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com