SC - Molding Spices

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Tue Dec 8 10:51:52 PST 1998

DianaFiona at aol.com wrote:

> << I have to wonder about the applesauce smelling like food to the insects
>  and critters we are prone to here in the south.  Even with a coating of
>  Krylon, wouldn't that attract them?  For that matter, I wonder if the
>  spices themselves would be attractive to them?
>  Christianna
>   >>
>         It can be a problem to some extent--I've had critters nibble on my rose beads
> before. But I haven't heard of any problems with the cinnamon ornaments
> before, so I would imagine that the spices can act as a deterant. Also, you'd
> want to store them in something when not in use, anyway, so choosing something
> bug-proof would help. If you decided on zip bags, going for the freezer weight
> ones would be a good idea--they tend to work better against chewing.

It occurs to me that one might mix some black pepper in with the
cinnamon, since it seems these are meant to be aromatic, and not eaten.
Pepper is often used to repel various flies and such in the curing of
hams, before they're fully cured and smoked.

Adamantius
Crown Province of Østgardr, East Kingdom

Argent, an owl displayed guardant sable, between three pheons inverted
gules, all within a bordure sable.
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com