SC - Medieval exhibits in Philadelphia/NYC area?

Diana Haven tantralya at hotmail.com
Sun Dec 13 06:38:17 PST 1998

>My wife and I will be taking a short trip to the
>New Jersey/East Pennsylvania/NYC area between Dec. 17
>and Dec. 29.
>
>We already plan to visit the Cloisters in NYC as well as
>the Metropolitan Museum, both of which are supposed to
>have some SCA period items. Possibly also some of the
>living history and iron smelting sites in eastern
>Pennsylvania.

Lord Stefan,

In the Met, you will find the medieval section and the arms and armor
exhibit to be exquisite.  there is also a lovely room on the second
floor in the islamic exhibit that is representative of the time period
as well.  there used to be a spanish courtyard, but I think they were
either taking it out or renovating it.  I live close enough to the City
to pop in one day or two if it is on a  weekend.  For food, you are best
off going to Chinatown if you like chinese food.  In NYC there is no
lack of good food, you just need to know where to find it. I am sure you
can ask Adamantius.  The Frick museum would be lovely, and the Whitney
may have one or two pieces.  There is a stunning portrait of Henry VIII
in the Frick I believe.  Just as you come in (unless they have removed
it as well).  The tapestries from the Cloisters are now in the Met for a
time.  If you do the Cloisters, hold onto your medallion/button thingie.
go to the Met the same day, it is good for both entrances.

If you are lucky enough to have pull you can get into the Pierpont
Morgan Library to look at the lovely scrolls and books with calligraphy
and illumination.

Good Luck!

Diana

Everywoman is a Goddess.  Everyman is a God.  We are all
equal, so get over yourself!