SC - barley

LrdRas at aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Sun Dec 13 13:50:50 PST 1998

In a message dated 12/13/98 2:20:07 PM Eastern Standard Time, uther at lcc.net
writes:

<< I know that I have chicken stew
 recipes in period using rice,etc. in the same way this uses barley so I
 thought that part of the recipe was "creatively period".   >>

Fricasses can certainly be traced to medieval sources. You use the term
'chicken stew' though which gives me pause. Do you really mean a chicken and
broth mixture with vegetables added to it or do you mean a dish of chicken
with broth and perhaps onions? If the former, then , SFAIK, we have no recipes
dating pre-1450 which is the approximate date that styles of cuisine started
to change dramatically with 'regional' variations' beconing the norm in
cookery manuals. If the latter then yes, I would say it could be called
periodoid or period-like with little reservation dependinbg on the
ingredients.

Ras