SC - Steffato?

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Wed Dec 16 05:41:33 PST 1998

I wrote:

> Steffato would be a cognate of estufade, estufee (as in Cajun
> usage, or is that etuvee?). Based on absolutely no other evidence, this
> _looks_ like one of those 17th-century English nods to French, Spanish
> or Portuguese cookery.

Another possibility I hadn't considered is that this might be a modern
recipe. There's a modern Greek dish called Stifado, containing such
unlikely-period items as tomatoes, but there may either be versions
without them, or in the milieu of beef and red wine they may be
obscured. Stifados seem to frequently contain, in addition to beef,
wine, little onions, a tomato product, and black olives. Do you think
it's possible that's what you are remembering?

> Basically the name means "stew", but I don't recall seeing a recipe such
> as you describe. I'll look around a bit, but is this a beef and red wine
> stew, or is that your second choice?
>
> Adamantius

Me again...

Østgardr, East