SC - Fw: [Mid] Cook book

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Fri Dec 18 19:51:40 PST 1998

Philippa Alderton wrote:

> Someone on the Middlebridge posted this question- anybody familiar with it?
>
> > "Seven Centuries of English Cooking: A
> >Collection of Recipes by Maxime de la Falaise". The first chapter covers
> >"the 14th to the 16th century", then other chapters cover the 17th, 18th
> >and 19th centuries. Original sources are listed. Has anyone else seen this
> >one? Is it good for using in the SCA?

It is also sometimes sold as "The Seven Centuries Cookbook", and the
author is sometimes named as Maxime McKendry (presumably the same person
as Maxime de la Falaise). My edition is edited by Arabella Boxer.

Yes, it does frequently list the primary source, but not always, if I
remember correctly. It also sometimes gives the original recipe, and
sometimes not. When it doesn't, it's sometimes hard to be immediately
sure what ingredients and steps have been conceived or added by the
author. So, she occasionally adds things like gratuitous beurre manie
thickening to sauces that originally called for no thickener at all.

I guess it's better than "Fabulous Feasts", at least as a recipe source.
I haven't referred to my copy in years, but I wouldn't dispose of it,
either. It has at least one recipe (Honey Saffron Quiches, a.k.a.
doucettys or darioles) that was specifically requested by a fairly
recent Eastern Crown for their Coronation feast.

It's not the best book in the world, but then not everything can be
written by P.G. Wodehouse, can it?

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy