SC - Home of Pace Picante-OT

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Tue Dec 22 04:07:18 PST 1998

Vanishwood at aol.com wrote:

> I am curious, Ive been looking everywhere for scotch bonnets, I thought they
> were the same as  habanero?  I thought scotch bonnet was the jamacian name for
> the same pepper?...
>
> Ethelwulf

I don't share the view that they're the same pepper, although that idea
is fairly common. Unless the differences I've noticed between the two
types have in fact been random differences between individual samples
_every_ single time, if you know what I mean. Certainly they're very
close, but true Scotch bonnets seem to lack the dreidl shape typical of
an habanero. The trouble is, I think, that these are varieties, not
different species, so often it's hard to tell the difference sometimes.

Habaneros tend to be shaped differently, more a cube with a pyramid at
one end, like a dreidl, while Scotch Bonnets are shaped more like a
deflated baloon, kinda like, well, a Hieland bonnet. Both are usually
orange, but Habaneros seem to tend to remain orange as they ripen, and
it's a deep orange color, while Scotch Bonnets are slightly more
yellowish, but with increasingly red blotches as they ripen.

Habaneros have more of a deep richness about them, while Scotch Bonnets
seem to have a lighter, clearer, flavor, almost electric.

And yes, both have a delicate bouquet, a most impertinent nose, and a
patina of distinct insouciance, embodying the silvery laughter of the
peasant maids of the Yucatan...;  )

Adamantius
Østgardr, East
- --