SC - Capsicums-OOP

LrdRas at aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Tue Dec 22 07:41:01 PST 1998

In a message dated 12/22/98 1:37:02 AM Eastern Standard Time,
Vanishwood at aol.com writes:

<< I am curious, Ive been looking everywhere for scotch bonnets, I thought
they
 were the same as  habanero?  I thought scotch bonnet was the jamacian name
for
 the same pepper?...

 Ethelwulf >>

There is some confusion about this pepper. In talking with my produce guy at
the market about this he said that the trade usually designates them as
'Scotch Bonnets' under one of two conditions. They are of the variety of
habeneros known as 'Scotch Bonnets' or they have been grown in more southerly
locations.

The first makes sense to me although I suspect that they are sold under
whatever name they are ordered by. I suspect certain matkets might also use
the name 'Scotch Bonnet' as an excuse to tack on a few more cents to the
price.

The fact is that haberos and Scotch Bonnet is a term which is freely applied
to the same pepper. The amount of heat in the pepper is determined by the
conditions that the plant is grown under with northern grown haberos being
somewhat milder than southern grown peppers.

So far as Korrin's post on Scoville units is concerned it was accurate.
However, I would take exception to her advice that heat does not ALSO reside
in the seeds and inner membranes. Every cookbook that I have recommends
removing the seeds and membranes before use for the specific purpose of
reducing the heat in the pepper. The membranes are also bitter. I

t has been my experience that removing the seeds and membranes from hot
peppers is always a good thing. It allows the pepper flavor (e.g. sweetness
and other subtle nuances) to shine through elevating the dish to a level that
allows the heat to compliment the flavor rather than being the flavor.

One of the great sadnesses, IMO, is that a lot of folks are so focused on the
heat in a pepper that they miss out entirely on the really important things
that make different types of peppers  special ingredients that add flavor and
interest to a dish. For me, I would rather enjoy the staccato fire crackers
bouncing across the tongue instead of the burst of a stick of dynamite that
destroys any further enjoyment of the dish.

Ras