SC - help on this list

Mon Dec 28 19:08:17 PST 1998

> So, you're saying there are people who weren't subject to the blows I took
> from the
> yardsticks?  Seriously, I was given 3 different spellings for Stifado here
> (all
> involving f's instead of the d) which netted me nothing in searches.  Yet,
> you guys
> spelled it right first time out and I got the info I needed within 30
> minutes of the
> first search I made with the new spelling.
>
> Brenna

I can't say that anyone beat spelling into me with a yardstick.  I just got
the idea of precision in writing from my father, who regularly consulted
dictionaries and the like while writing his reports, and Mark Twain.

I must suggest that getting the correct spellings for foreign dishes on this
list probably has more to do with the remembered joy of ethnic cooking and
pursuing recipes across cultures than any mechanical aptitude for the
written word.

Bear