SC - purple fleur de lis?

Thu Dec 31 08:28:59 PST 1998

Sorry, Angharad, I don't have any experience in using natural food colorings
with doughs and I don't know of any references which cover it.  I was
planning to experiment with coloring decorations for loaves of bread, but I
haven't had the chance.

I would think that your comments on the acidity and alkalinity induced
problems is probably correct, but you can use de-ionized water for baking.
Something like a Britta water filter (which removes metals) will likely be
the best bet.  This doesn't alter the problem where the other ingredients
are concerned, but it does reduce human induce contaminants.

I would recommend running experiments simply because you are working with
organic dyes and you need to know how they are going to react.

Bear