SC - FW: ANST - link: cooking - IRISH SODA BREAD

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Thu Dec 31 09:48:25 PST 1998

"Decker, Terry D." wrote:

> Here is an interesting site off the Ansteorran mailing list.  It's OOP and I
> question some of the opinions stated in the intro, but the recipes are good.

So, Bear, what are the opinions stated in the intro that _you_ disagree
with? I've never tried a soda bread made with no acid substance: does
fresh "sweet" milk have enough lactic acid to do the trick? I also
question the idea that sour milk is not in fact milk that has soured on
its own(and so does Malachi McCormick!)

On the other hand, I'm glad to see the lady has made an effort to stress
the importance of ordinary white or brown soda bread, with no "stuff" in
it. Stamp out raisins and caraway seeds in your lifetime, folks! We can
make this a better world for better bread. Oh, and I hereby declare
confectioners' sugar illegal on soda bread.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com