SC - Bread

Thu Dec 31 13:36:00 PST 1998

> He is a wonderful, serious baker-
> the only negative I can say about him is that he's more into baking well
> than being strictly period- and that's quite a forgivable fault, if fault
> it
> is, from someone who gives so freely of his time and expertise with search
> engines ;-)
>
> Phlip

Now, now, if I was going to be absolutely period, I wouldn't post the recipe
for Bear's Peanut Butter Fudge Cake, a little goody I created for a birthday
party about two weeks ago.  It, of course, will be labelled OOP.  The recipe
will be along after I get it into the computer.

With a corpus of four recipes, it is a little difficult to bake strictly
period European bread, so I stray into odd places, like the panforte.  I
discovered late last night that there is a Roman treatise on baking, which
presumably gives recipes for 60 different kinds of bread.  If I can find a
copy, it will give me a pre-period reference to compare with period and
post-period references.

And I will sit down and see if I can write up some pointers for getting more
out your search engine.

Bon Chance

Bear