SC - carrot drink. wass: rose sekanjabin/was coffee and tea

Anne-Marie Rousseau acrouss at gte.net
Sun Feb 1 09:50:22 PST 1998

Hi all from Anne-Marie

Ras says:
 I currently have
> cider, balsamic, distilled white, red wine, white wine, and several
flavored
> vinegars in my larder.  Each of which is indispensable in it's proper
place.

Ah, another vinegar nut! It is a common joke in our Guild that Anne-Marie
thinks EVERYTHING is better with vinegar in it. Fortunately, there are so
many medieval dishes where vinegar is the major flavor.

I recieved a bottle of pear vinegar from Effente Dimetrios (formerly of
Calontir and now in An Tir.) as a gift....you should taste it in the
Chicken Sour from Apicius (chicken, stewed with leeks in a sauce of vinegar
and pepper...non-foodies referred to is as "lemon chicken" at the banquet).

Here's a thought...what types of vinegar do you think go with English food,
vs French food, vs the Eastern corpus? Or German? or Spanish?

Chiquart specifies red wine vinegar in his shopping lists. Is this because
being Savoiard, this is the type he could get? Would an English cook use
malt vinegar, ie fermenting the easier to get beer, rather than the
imported wine? And would then a Norman (ie from Normandie, not Robin Hood
Norman) cook use cider vinegar from the omnipresent cider?

Are we doing a "cheat" when we pick our favorite 25 yr  old balsamic as the
vinegar, knowing full well that it gives an entirely different taste and
look to dish?

Just some thoughts,
- --AM