SC - Basque

Anne-Marie Rousseau acrouss at gte.net
Sun Feb 1 20:58:01 PST 1998

Hello all from Anne-Marie
Brighid says
> After discussing English vinegars, I forgot to mention the Spanish
> ones.  The "Libro de Guisados" mentions vinegar and verjuice, though
> it does not IIRC specify what type of wine they are made from.  The
> more common souring ingredients are the juice of sour oranges, lemon
> juice, and pomegranate juice.

It is my experience that the souring agents of citrus are more an
indication of time than of place. You see their use in Chiquarts work
(Southern France) in the 15th century, followed closely by the Italians,
and in England in the 16-17th centuries.

What century is the "Libro de Guisados"? As Spain would be more likely to
get citrus than France or Englad, it would be interesting to see if the
citrus souring agent was used even earlier there.

Neat, huh? :)
- --AM