SC - Authenticity-OOP/OT

Gedney, Jeff Gedney.J at tempphd1.com
Mon Feb 2 07:56:19 PST 1998

> Haifuku!
>
> > If you have a good way to recreate something, cheaply, Great!
> > Teach those who are able to learn what you know, if you wish.
> > But do not criticise those who do not have the time or resources
> > (monetary, geographic, or otherwise) to do the same.
> >

> > Brandu
>
> 	This is unfair, I think. I have seen folks on this list try and
> encourage more authenticity, or a reduction in inauthentic materials
> or
> methods, but this is not at all the same as demanding perfection.

There is a substantial difference, I think, between encourageing more
authenticiy, and criticizing inuthenticity.
One is detremental and points out where someone does wrong, and the
other is encouraging, and helps point out ways to do things better.  My
point is that it does not make anyones contributions less valuable if
they do not have the time or other resources to make a more authentic
attempt.  We should be encouraging, and offer to help those who have not
found the cheap but authentic ways to accomplish a project.

Item 1:
"That is tasty, but hardly period. Ingredients x, y, and z, were not
available. That shows that you did not try to research and reproduce
this properly"

Item 2:
"Wow, this is good.  You have a really firm grasp of this recipe!  Hey,
you know, I have a way to reproduce this ingredient from suateed apples,
hamburger, and pistachios for about 11 cents a pound.  Come over and
we'll have a cooking party! Man, that would kick ass!!"

See the difference?

> 	During this discussion, which started with beverages at events,
> I have
> seen folk (not necessarily you) argue that if they could not afford
> (in
> time and/or money) a historical solution to a problem, then a
> nonperiod
> one should be acceptable.
That depends on the substitution. I find a cornish game hen a perfectly
acceptable substitute for squab,  but I do not consider substituting
Wonder (tm) bread for barley loaves acceptable.
Secondly I think that you must make some compromises with regard to
ingredients and especially technique.  I find it inconceivable that many
halls allow us to build a central fire hearth, or beehive ovens.  So I
think that some compromise is acceptable in ingredients, as well, as
long as the spirit and flavor of the original recipe is what is aimed
for, and not an excuse to rename "Ding Dongs" "Travel Cakes" and serve
them forth, just because you like Ding Dongs.

>  Similarly, it is not necessary to have some replacement beyond
> water for period drinks.
Except for the very real fact that I can recall no HIGH FEAST (what we
ostensibly try to re-create) where water was served.
Barley wines, Meads, small beers, grape wines (plain, diluted, mixed
with juice, spiced, fortified), etc., are noted aplenty, but I do not
recall even a single instance of plain, unflavored, unscented, WATER
being served at table.

Brandu