SC - SC-Ideas needed.

Stevens gto at verdenet.com
Tue Feb 3 08:58:42 PST 1998

Hello, as a new member I thought I had better introduce myself, especially
since my concerns are not quite the same as everyone else on the list.

My name is Caroline Yeldham, and I am involved in historical re-enactment
(or living history) in England (UK) and am not involved in the SCA.  I have
been involved in re-enactment cooking for 6 years now, and am eager to learn
all I can.  I haven't been able to find a comparable list for re-enactment
cooks, so hope you kind folk will be able to help me.  One major difference
in what I do is that I'm usually cooking in front of the general public,
over a wood fire.  An oven is a luxury!
Some of you may know me from h-costume, which I've been on for the last
couple of years.

So, hoping you won't throw me off (although if you do know of a more
suitable list, please let me know, but I can't access newsgroups) I do have
a question.  BTW, my area of interest is England and sometimes France - so
although I use northern European sources I try to avoid southern Europe and
points south.  My period is late 15th century and 16th century.

There appears to be a big change in pastry in the 16th century.  All I can
find evidence for before is hot water pastry, by the end of the 16th century
we've even got puff pastry.  Does anyone else see this, does anyone know
why?  Has anyone got evidence of anything other than hot water pastry before
the 16th century.  I'm very happy to accept the Romans did things
differently (very OOP for me) and Italy probably started the change first.

So, any thoughts anyone, or has this all been hashed to death before I
joined the list?  I tried to have a wander through the archives but couldn't
get access - probably the usual problem.

Caroline