SC - salmon

Russell Gilman-Hunt conchobar at rocketmail.com
Tue Feb 3 11:32:17 PST 1998

> I also hear of a earlyish
>period
>northern European source, but I haven't been able to put my hands
>on it yet.

Check my collection of primary sources.

>So here's my question. . .
>
>Would it be out of line to take recipes from that source (I'm thinking
>the 'Icelandic Chicken' source) and check the foods against what
>was probably available in Ireland, and make foods that could have
>been made in Ireland based on that book, with substitutions and
>exchanges legal?  It would be better, IMHO, than spit roasting a
>salmon.

I'm not sure what "out of line" means. It would be closer to period than
going to a modern Irish cookbook, farther from period (I suspect) than
making an exhaustive study of the archaeological and literary evidence,
comparing that with the Ann Hagen books on Anglo-Saxon England, and basing
a best guess on that. Given that lots of completely out of period stuff is
done at SCA events, hardly anything short of (maybe) TShirts and bluejeans
is "out of line" in the strong sense of prohibited--it is simply a question
of how far you want to go.

I should add, however, that the source you mention is probably a southern
European cookbook that someone brought north and that then got copied into
several European languages (the original is lost, several of the daughter
manuscripts have survived, the above is Rudolf Grewe's interpretation of
what happened).

David/Cariadoc
http://www.best.com/~ddfr/