Remedies (was: SC - coffee/tea)--long

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Wed Feb 4 16:35:31 PST 1998

At 6:18 PM -0500 2/2/98, Deborah J Hammons wrote:
>This past weekend at an archery event, the Archer General of the Outlands
>and I were lamenting the state of our health, and musing what would be a
>period remedy. Chamomile mead was mentioned. Probably a better question
>for the brewers list, but did anyone make mead out of Chamomile?  Is is
>possible to make mead out of chamomile?
>
>Aldyth

As someone else said, I am sure it is possible--other herbs get used in
mead.  The place to look for this would be _The Closet of Sir Kenelm Digby
Opened_; 17th century, but it is the earliest collection of a lot of mead
recipes I know of.  He has pages and pages of mead and related recipes,
with a variety of spices and herbs used to flavor; I don't offhand remember
chamomile, but I don't know the book that well.  It is included in
Cariadoc's cookbook collection vol. 1.

Elizabeth/Betty Cook