SC - my russian inn- a success

Michael P Newton melc2newton at juno.com
Wed Feb 4 17:18:08 PST 1998

At 9:17 PM -0500 2/2/98, Woeller D wrote:
>Marisa Herzog wrote:
>>> I have made the Joy of Cooking's recipe for lemon syrup for years, and
>>>it is
>> similar to the Arabic version that has been posted here before-
>
>Sorry, I missed that one. Could you forward me the recipe? Thanks.
>Angelique   angeliq1 at erols.com

Syrup of Lemon
Andalusian p. A-74

Take lemon, after peeling its outer skin, press it and take a ratl* of
juice, and add as much of sugar. Cook it until it takes the form of a
syrup. Its advantages are for the heat of bile; it cuts the thirst and
binds the bowels. [end of original]

A ratl is a weight measure, about a pound.  Given that sugar and lemon
juice are both roughly 2 c = a pound, that means equal volumes or equal
weights.

We often serve this diluted about one part in three or four of hot water as
a strong, hot drink. Alternatively, dilute it more in cold water and you
have thirteenth century lemonade. It doen't taste quite like modern
lemonade because of the cooking.

Elizabeth/Betty Cook