SC -garden plans

Marisa Herzog marisa_herzog at macmail.ucsc.edu
Fri Feb 6 11:14:01 PST 1998

Well, spring is almost sprung, and if we hadn't had that ice storm
yesterday the grass would be closer to riz and now it's time to start
planning the garden again.

Luckily my lord is home from sea for the next 3 years so we can start
planning our garden, meself having a black thumb...

He is planning on replanting our asparagus bed in a different part of the
yard, and has plans drawn out for a selection of raiced beds for potherbs
for me. He has pulled a very nice semiformal garden from The Encyclopedia
of Herbs and Herbalism, edited by Malcom Stuart. Macdonald & Co,
0-517-35326-1. On pp 118, there is a layout with a larger front section
of french formal herb bed type gardening, and a smaller section in the
rear for veggies-onions, garlic, shallots, 'marrows and courgetes'[cukes
and such] and salad herbs. We have a section of the farm that the
original [1930's-70's] owner used as a veggie garden that appears to have
the appropriate proportions to duplicate the plan, just not entirely
horizontal[lol]

Now, the big question-I like most herbs that one finds in culinary use,
and I use a whole bunch of medicinal ones as well. I also like veggies.
Should we reproduce the garden as the herb and minor pot herbs, or go for
a more normal range of veggies and downplay the herbal aspect?  I have
been getting catalogs for both, and some of the nifty heirloom ones as
well. I could go either way, as could rob.

Opinions?

margali