SC - Jewish food in period

L Herr-Gelatt and J R Gelatt liontamr at ptd.net
Sat Feb 7 15:37:44 PST 1998

	.Greetings,
> It recently (last  night) came up in conversation whether some form of
> calamari is period.  Anyone have any thoughts on the matter?
>
> Bogdan

Giacosa in A Taste of Ancient Rome interprets Esicia de lolligine (Apicius
43) as squid patties.  Vehling in his translation of Apicius refers to the
dish as Apicius 42 and uses cuttlefish.  So it's highly probable that squid
was prepared in Antiquity and would have been served in period, at least
along the Italian coast.

Looking at a couple of modern Italian cook books, the terms cuttlefish and
squid are used interchangeably, although I seem to remember them as two
different critters.

Bear