SC - sugar

Mark.S Harris rsve60 at email.sps.mot.com
Mon Feb 9 11:57:11 PST 1998

Several people discussing Digby's current cakes:

>> >Why all the yeast if there's no time
>> >to rise?
>>
>> I've wondered if, in the original of such recipes, it is actually serving
>> a nutritional purpose. Think of it as a useful residue from beer
>>  making. Lots  of vitamins as I remember.
>>
>> David/Cariadoc
>> http://www.best.com/~ddfr/
>>
>Even without allowing the dough to rise, there will normally be some
>aeration and lightening of the dough during the start of the baking process.
>Think of it as the period equivalent of weak baking powder.
>
>Bear

It does in fact rise a little during baking--as Bear says, rather like
cookies with baking soda or baking powder--and I expect that is the result
of the yeast.  On one occasion I let it sit for two or three hours before
baking, which is not in the original recipe; it didn't make any noticable
difference.  My understanding is that fat suppresses the action of yeast
and there is a lot of butter in this recipe.

Elizabeth (the one who actually makes the current cakes in this household)