SC - teaching kids (was beerbread)

R.A. Kappler II kappler at edgenet.net
Wed Feb 11 16:01:14 PST 1998

Crystal of the Westermark explained:

But since you asked:
Sticking to the basics of European beverages, the nobility drank (in
order of number of refrences I've found) wine, spiced&sweetened
wines/hippocras, caudles made from wine/ale/broth/water, ale, beer,
braggot, small beer, mead (sometimes medicinal), cider (sometimes
medicinal), perry, some limited fruit juices including grape, apple and
peach, and sheep milk.

Mead, the perfect drink, is much higher on the list in early period.
Lemonade and hot chocolate are *so* late period (1650's) we shouldn't
really use them.

If you want more, e-mail me privatly and I'll send you a server-crashing
huge file of the beverage citations I've found so far.
crystal at pdr-is.com

- -------------
Thank you for the list. While I have recipes and comments on many
of these in my files, I don’t know that I’ve seen a comprehensive
list of medieval beverages. I’d love to have more than the one
caudle recipe I have and I’m not sure what a braggot (as in a drink)
is.

However, a great many of these beverages are rather high in sugars.
I am a diabetic and have to watch these easily absorbed sugars. Hence,
I often end up drinking diet soda.

Does anyone have any suggestions for non-beer (blech!, we’ve discussed
this, let’s not do it again), non-sugared type medieval drinks?

And Crystal, I’d love to see your file of beverage citations.

Thanks.
   Stefan li Rous
   stefan at texas.net