SC - very OOP & OT

Marisa Herzog marisa_herzog at macmail.ucsc.edu
Thu Feb 12 09:51:48 PST 1998

In a message dated 2/12/98 11:47:08 AM Eastern Standard Time,
pkl at absaroka.obgyn.ks.se writes:

<< Not of you use an adult hedgehog, and include the spines (about 2" long,
 I'd say). When "unrolled" they are 20-25 cm long, and 10-15 cm or so
 wide.  If you have oranges matching the ball that that forms I'll start
 beliveving some of those emigration era postcards with 20 feet high
 chickens! I'd estimate the ball to at least 15 cm diameter. >>

I had mentioned in my post that the hedgehogs I saw were at my local pet store
(to be read YOUNG hedgehogs) and they are not anywheres near the size you
mention, They are in fact about the size of an orange when rolled up. I did
not have to estimate the size of the animal since I was holding it in my hands
at the time.

When describing illusion food, I would think that a small amount of
imagination and creative thought is to be expected. I think that when when
creating a gingerbread castle for instance it is not necessary nor is it
practical to create the illusion food in the diemensions which would entail
100 foot high sheets of gingerbread with life size marzepan figures. In
hunting it is the young animal that is the most desired for edibility and
IMHO, the hedgehogs taken as game if they were taken would have been on the
smaller side. A certain amount of judicious thoughtfulness is a plus when
dealing with culinary creation and practical usage would have a great amount
of weight in reproducing any dish. Since dishes were more often times than not
prepared as 2 servings , INHO, the "Yrchoun" recipe would best be presented as
a young orange sized headgehog instead of a large 6 or 8 serving illusion.

Ras