SC - An Ode themed to Valentine's Day (Sorta)

L Herr-Gelatt and J R Gelatt liontamr at ptd.net
Sat Feb 14 07:39:09 PST 1998

>> Mark.S Harris wrote:
>>
>> > Does anyone have any suggestions for non-beer, non-sugared type medieval
>>drinks?

>Ha! My turn to get ya at your own game, Stefan! I found a reference for
>you in your own florilegium files, to a beverage called 'twilsy', which
>is simply water, with a a plain or fruit-flavored vinegar added to
>taste. I took the suggestion in the file and tried it with raspberry
>vinegar- not bad at all. There was a similar drink, but with honey or
>sugar water added, called 'switchel'. I would suppose you could use a
>non-suger sweetener for that. Are you proud of me?
>Hugs & Pinches,
>Angelique

Now that I find interesting. The only reference to switchel that I'd seen
previously is from the Better Homes & Gardens Heritage Cook Book, and it's
a drink using vinegar and molasses. Wildly OOP, of course, but called
Haymaker's Switchel. Must have kept the name when the drink got adapted to
the Americas.

In a saucepan heat together 8 cups water, 1 cup sugar, 1/2 cup cidar
vinegar, 1/2 cup molasses and 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger till sugar is
dissolved. Chill before serving.

Morgana

Morgana yr Oerfa, Baroness      *     Sharron Albert
Winter's Gate/Oertha/West       *     salbert at polarnet.com
Per saltire gules and sable,    *     Babylon 5/science fiction
in pale two mullets and         *     (astrology/tarot)
in fess an increscent           *     Back up my hard drive? How do I put
and a decrescent argent.        *          it in reverse?